Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Review: Prodigy by Marie Lu

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action.








*There are spoilers for Legend in this review, so don't read on if you haven't read Legend yet*

Prodigy really exceeded my expectations! I liked Legend well enough, but I didn't find it THAT unforgettable. Prodigy, though, is definitely one of my favourite 2013 reads so far. Marie Lu has outdone herself, with the heart-pounding non-stop action and the twists I never saw coming.

Prodigy picks up where Legend left off, with June and Day on the run, trying to get to the Patriots. There's a lot more at stake in this book. At the beginning itself, we find out that the Elector has died, and is replaced by his son, Anden. Since I just re-read Legend before starting Prodigy, I remember Anden distinctly. He met June at the debutante ball, and was quite smitten with her. Anyway, when June and Day finally reach the Patriots, their leader has a job for the young rebel couple - kill Anden. June doesn't know what to think of this, but Day jumps on board. Prodigy follows June and Day as they strive to complete their separate missions, while making a lot of discoveries on the way.

June is one of my favourite YA heroines of all time. Even though at 15 years she's younger than most (younger than me, even!), she's a lot tougher and smarter. June is the Republic's darling - but does she want to be? She's given up everything for Day, and now lives like the rest of the street kids. But she hasn't lost sight of who she is. She still struggles with her grief from Metias's death, but she doesn't let that get in her way. I really admired her courage and determination in this book. She goes through so much, she has to make so many tough choices, but she's still strong and focused.

We see a different side of Day in Prodigy. I found him to be quite narrow-minded and closed off for most of the book, but I guess that's because everything he's been through has hardened him. Watching his mother die before his eyes and finding out that his older brother had died taking a bullet for him must have been the hardest things he's ever had to experience. He nurtures a personal hatred for the Republic, so he's quite keen on the idea of murdering Anden, even though in the past he's made it a point to avoid killing people. Like I said, the events in Legend have hardened him. But I still love Day, because in the end he knows what's right, and he's got a good heart. Day is the hope of the people, the one they look up to and worship like no other. There's this speech that he makes towards the end of the book, and it was the best freaking speech I've ever read! Day is a great speaker, and a great motivator. He really has the qualities of a leader, but of course he'll never act on them.

June and Day's relationship is quite rocky in this novel, heartbreaking at times. They're both very different people, and I think they realize this for the first time in Prodigy. Not to say that there aren't romantic and swoony scenes in this book, because there totally are! June and Day have great chemistry together, and it was delightful to see. But I was sad that they were apart for most of the book, because when they're together, they're unstoppable. And they show that every time they're in action beside each other.

There was a kind of love triangle in this book... Actually, there were two. But they didn't bother me, because deep down I know that June and Day will always come back to each other. Though the ending makes me doubt that.. Oh my god the ending! It shattered my heart into a million little pieces. Marie Lu had better put those pieces back together in book 3, Champion, or I will be very mad!

The secondary characters showed a lot more depth in this book, because we got to see a lot more of them. Tess is really different, because Day sees her grown up for the first time. He stops looking at her like a little sister, and looks at her like she's a young woman. Tess has had a crush on Day for ages, and when he finds this out, he doesn't know what to do. Tess shows an ugly side in Prodigy - jealousy. She hates June because Day practically worships her, and she refuses to see that Day's happy with June. Despite this, I like Tess. She's compassionate and a great healer, and she's really independent in this book. She doesn't need Day as much as he thinks she does. Tess has to make a few difficult choices too, and she does what she thinks is right. I don't necessarily agree with her, but I understand her. And that's good enough for me.

Kaede is back, as badass as ever. Day and June discover that she's with the Patriots, and she's essential throughout the novel. Kaede gets them out of a lot of rough spots, and her faith in them is admirable. Plus, she brings humour to a morbid atmosphere, which is pretty hard to do. Kaede is an amazing pilot, and June and Day would definitely not be alive if not for her. She makes enormous sacrifices in this book, which make me admire her all the more.

As I've mentioned before, there are a LOT of twists and turns in this book. It's positively nerve-wracking to read! Nothing is what it seems, and the characters get quite a few shocks. Between the Republic, the Patriots and the Colonies, there are a lot of choices to be made, and I think June and Day have made the right ones. Dreams crumble to dust, but there is still faith, and that's what matters.

Prodigy definitely does not fall into middle-book syndrome. Far from it. Marie Lu will have a hard time trying to top this book with the final one! And I'm desperate for Champion, to finally know how everything ends. Especially with that ending, which was a humungous shocker! This book will make you feel so many emotions all at once that you'll have to take a breather or two in between chapters. It's fast-paced but easy to keep up with, which in my opinion is the best way to go. I've developed a great connection with June and Day in this book, and I'm really hoping for a happy ending for them!

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. OH Richa, awesome review!

    Two love triangles actually sound better than just one and it's reassuring to know that Day and June will always be back with each other in the end :) I'm so slow with my TBR and that's why Legend is still sitting on my shelf lonesomely...

    A second book that's better than the first? I've got to check it out!

    Happy Valentine's <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sel! Omg you need to read Legend ASAP, this series is so good <3
      Happy Valentine's :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!