Thursday, 21 February 2013

Author Interview: Kathryn Fitzmaurice


Kathryn Fitzmaurice is the author of Destiny, Rewritten, which was published just a couple of days ago (Rabiah and I will be reviewing this book soon, for Books That Glow 2013, so look out for that!). Today I have Kathryn here on the blog for an interview! So here we go :)

Interview with Kathryn Fitzmaurice

Q - Describe your novel in three words.


A - Destiny, unraveling, put-back-together-ness

Q - Why do you choose to write Middle Grade?

A - Because I really like the reader at that age, they still believe anything can happen. 

Q - How did you come up with the idea for Destiny, Rewritten?

A - My grandmother, Eleanor Robinson, gave me a volume of poetry for my twentieth birthday, The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson.  Inside, she wrote, “E.D. is a revered poet.  Perhaps the same will be said of K.H. one day.  Happy birthday, love, Grandmother Eleanor.”   This was the starting point for Destiny, Rewritten.  I thought it was perfect because it predicted fate. 

Q - What's your favorite ice cream flavor?

A - Mint chocolate chip.

Q - Did you always want to be an author? What made you become one?

A - I always wanted to write, but it wasn’t until my grandmother passed away that I thought I should really try to write a book.  I wouldn’t have become a writer unless my mother had not sent me to NYC the summer I was thirteen.  I spent it with my grandmother and learned a few things about writing.  She was working on a science fiction book that summer, and taught me things about plot, character ARC, and pacing. 

This or That

Pop or Rap?
Pop

Bubble Gum or Chewing Gum?
Bubble gum

Handwriting or Typing?
Typing

Indoors or Outdoors?
Outdoors

Cats or Dogs?
Definitely DOGS!

Q - What's one movie that you've watched recently which you'd recommend to everybody?

A - Silver Linings Playbook.

Q - What music do you like to listen to?

A - All kinds, I have two teenage boys, and they introduce me to quite a lot of music I never would have known about otherwise!

Q - What were some of the challenges you came across in writing Destiny, Rewritten?

A - I rewrote it three times before I had it how I wanted it.  It started out one and ended up another.  My agent, Jennifer Rofe, was very helpful, but really, without the help of my editor, Molly O’Neill, the book would not be what it is today.  She helped tremendously, offering wonderful suggestions that made it even better.  I feel very fortunate to have worked with her.

Q - What advice do you have for aspiring writers out there?

A - I would say to attend as many writing conferences as you can and try to write a bit each day.  Also, I think belonging to a critique group is very helpful because writers need feedback and support.  And oftentimes, other writers see the holes we’ve left out!

That's some great advice! Thank you so much to Kathryn Fitzmaurice for taking the time to answer our questions :)

About Kathryn Fitzmaurice

When Kathryn was thirteen years old, her mother sent her to New York City over the summer to visit her grandmother, who was a science fiction author. After seeing how her grandmother could make the characters in her books into whomever she wanted, Kathryn decided that she, too, wanted to become a writer someday. Years later, after teaching elementary school, and taking many classes, she now writes full time and lives with her husband, two sons, and her dog, Holly, in Monarch Beach, California.

Find Kathryn on:




About Destiny, Rewritten

Eleven-year-old Emily Elizabeth Davis has been told for her entire life that her destiny is to become a poet, just like her famous namesake, Emily Dickinson. But Emily doesn’t even really like poetry, and she has a secret career ambition that she suspects her English-professor mother will frown on. Then a seeming tragedy strikes: just after discovering that it contains an important family secret, she accidentally loses the special copy of Emily Dickinson’s poetry that was given to her at birth. As Emily and her friends search for the lost book in used bookstores and thrift shops all across town, Emily’s understanding of destiny begins to unravel and then rewrite itself in a marvelous new way.

In her third novel, Kathryn Fitzmaurice again weaves a richly textured and delightful story about unexpected connections, about the ways that friends can help us see ourselves for who we truly are, and about the most perfect kinds of happy endings: those that happen just in time.


2 comments:

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!