Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Review: Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway


Jodi Marshall isn’t sure how she went from normal teenager to walking disaster. One minute she’s in her junior year of high school, spending time with her amazing boyfriend and her best friend. The next she’s being stalked by some guy no one seems to know.

After the stranger, Alex, reveals himself, Jodi learns he’s not a normal teenager and neither is she. With a kiss that kills and a touch that brings the dead back to life, Jodi discovers she’s part of a branch of necromancers born under the 13th sign of the zodiac, Ophiuchus. A branch of necromancers that are descendents of Medusa. A branch of necromancers with poisoned blood writhing in their veins.

Jodi’s deadly to the living and even more deadly to the deceased. She has to leave her old, normal life behind before she hurts the people she loves. As if that isn’t difficult enough, Jodi discovers she’s the chosen one who has to save the rest of her kind from perishing at the hands of Hades. If she can’t figure out how to control her power, history will repeat itself, and her race will become extinct.






Touch of Death is a fantastic debut from Kelly Hashway. I devoured it in one go, and I immediately wanted more! There was plenty of action, humour, and romance – all the aspects I love most about YA novels. The action begins right at the start, and goes all the way up to the end. The story flowed well, and it was a really enjoyable read. I only wish it were longer! The 229 pages I read clearly weren’t enough to satisfy my need, and I’m desperately craving the sequel, Stalked by Death.

This is the first zombie book I’ve read (well, the first book where zombies are predominant) and to be honest I wasn’t sure how much I’d like it. I’m happy to say I absolutely loved it! Jodi is an awesome protagonist, and I found myself connecting with her almost instantly. The plot is well paced, and there were definitely no slow bits in this book at all. Even though this is the third book I’ve read in the past four months about a girl who can kill with a touch, I didn’t find any redundancy. Touch of Death drew me in completely, and I’m still immersed in Jodi’s world of Ophi and zombies.

Some of you may know that I have a huge fascination with Greek mythology, and that’s another reason I really liked this book. Out of all the Greek mythology fiction I’ve read, Medusa has never largely featured in any of them. I liked that originality in Touch of Death – the fact that Kelly Hashway decided to focus on probably the most misunderstood creature in Greek mythology. I also liked that the Ophi are descended from Medusa instead of one of the major Greek gods like Zeus or Poseidon.

I found Touch of Death quite similar to Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout, so if you liked that one, you’ll enjoy this too. The aspect of having a killing touch and moving to the new guy’s huge house to learn about newfound powers along with others of her kind are common between the two books. However, Touch of Death was on the whole very different from Cursed, and I loved every second while reading it. The plotline is intriguing and original – I’ve never read anything like it before. The characters in this book have their own unique voice, and I can’t wait to read more about them in Stalked by Death!

Jodi is a very likeable main character, as is Alex. In fact, they’re very close to perfect. Jodi is kind, compassionate, and strong-willed. She stands up to those in power, to fight for what she believes in. She’s also quirky and humourous, which makes her all the more interesting. Her strength shines through the pages, especially when she knows she has a huge responsibility to carry on her shoulders and still doesn’t break under the pressure. She comes close, though. And that’s where Alex comes in. He lends her strength when she needs it, supports her when everyone else is dead set against her, and comforts her when she’s down. Even though he seemed pretty creepy at the beginning, he became really sweet later. Funny, too. I found his obsession with mac and cheese hilarious! His blooming relationship with Jodi is sweet and innocent, though I’m pretty sure it’ll heat up in the next book!

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good paranormal read. Touch of Death is addictive, and believe me, you won’t be able to put this down until you’ve finished the last page! I can’t wait to see what kind of path the plot of this series is going to take, and I know I’m going to love it no matter what.

*Thank you to Kelly Hashway for providing an ARC for review*

Rating: 4/5 

10 comments:

  1. This was one of my WoW's last year! I'm so pleased you enjoyed it. I haven't read Cursed so I can't see the similarities. But I look forward to reading both. I love the sound Jodi, she sounds like the perfect character to read about. Lovely review.

    Emma @ Never Judge a Book by its Cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma! Yeah you should definitely check out both books :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed Touch of Death. Thanks for a great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for writing the amazing book xD

      Delete
  3. Great review! I'm so glad you liked the book.
    I read it back in November and really loved it!
    I am a new follower to you blog :]
    If you could follow me back that would be great!
    http://littlehyuts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love Greek mythology and having a zodiac sign under Medusa sounds freakin' amazing! Great review ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sel! Yeah I think you'll love this :)

      Delete
  5. GLad that Jodi is a good main character and you enjoyed this one.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I really enjoyed Touch of Death.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!