Sunday, 6 January 2013

Review: Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi


It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder,
 Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.










I had a feeling that this book would surpass my expectations, and I was right. It completely blew me away! Veronica Rossi has upped the stakes in Through the Ever Night, and this is definitely one of my top ten favourite books I read in 2012. I loved every second of it - the happy stuff as well as the heartbreak. The incredible balance is what made this book so amazing!

Through the Ever Night starts off right where Under the Never Sky ended, and the first thing we get to see is Aria and Perry's reunion! It was so touching. They go through so much in this book, and sadly most of their time is spent apart from each other. That doesn't matter, though, because the times when they're together? Those are the best parts of the book. I absolutely loved Under the Never Sky, and I was doubtful whether I would like this one as much. Imagine my shock when I discovered that this was actually better! There's some great character development, some new characters, and some old ones return. I think it would be best to read the novella Roar and Liv before reading this book, because it'll help you get perspective. It's not necessary, but I would advise it.

Aria's changes are very noticeable in Through the Ever Night. The fragile girl from Reverie is long gone, and in her place stands a fighter. Aria has fully accepted who she is, and she's a great Aud. She still has her compassion and other positive traits from before, but she's not fragile anymore. She can fend for herself. I really liked Aria in this book, even though she made some tough decisions I wasn't very happy about.

Perry is, of course, as awesome as ever. Maybe even more! He's got a lot of responsibility on his shoulders now that he's the Blood Lord of the Tides, and on top of that he's willing to do whatever it takes to get Talon back. I felt sorry for Perry most of the time, because he has no one to look up to, no one to seek guidance from. He's the leader, and he can't show weakness. Reef is a great friend to him, and so are the others who are infinitely loyal to him. They stick by Perry when others from the Tides, people who he's known his whole life, begin to doubt him. I do wish that Perry had more time with Aria in this book, but I feel that the time they spent apart has strengthened their bond with each other.

Roar is definitely my favourite character in this series! Okay, apart from maybe Perry. I love Roar so much - he's kind, loyal, extremely supportive, and freaking hilarious! His banter with Aria was fun to read, and he made me forget about all the serious stuff going on in the book. There's a part where he sings with Aria, and I think it was the most beautiful part of the book. I felt like I could hear them harmonizing together, and it gave me chills. What I wouldn't do to meet someone like Roar! I really felt for him in Through the Ever Night, because he has to go through so much heartbreak too. I won't say any more about it, but I was filled with sorrow too, while reading about his!

All the characters in Through the Ever Night have had to make a lot of difficult choices. Some are the right ones, some aren't. Get ready for some tears! But for some laughs, too. This book has it all! I was ensnared from the beginning, and couldn't put the book down until I had finished the last page. Trust me, this book definitely does not fall into middle book syndrome!

I finished Through the Ever Night in one sitting, and I need Into the Still Blue so badly right now! I don't think I can wait a whole year. It's too much. This is a book you can re-read whenever you feel like it, and that's exactly what I'm going to do at least twice this year, just so I can have Perry and Roar back into my life. Through the Ever Night is absolutely thrilling. Filled with action, romance, humour, and a lot of surprises, this book will take you through a whole roller coaster of emotions! Veronica Rossi has truly outdone herself with this one!

*Thank you to Veronica Rossi for sending me a signed ARC of Through the Ever Night!*

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!