Monday, 21 January 2013

Review: Hooked by Liz Fichera









Get hooked on a girl named Fred.

When Fredericka "Fred" Oday is invited to become the only girl on her school's boys' varsity golf team, she can't say no. This is her opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to college, something no one in her family has done. But Fred's presence on the team isn't exactly welcome - especially not to the player she's paired with, rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make room for Fred.

Sparks will fly as the girl from the Rez with the killer swing takes on the boy with the killer smile!



I believed that my ancestors lived among the stars. Whenever I struck a golf ball, sometimes the ball soared so high that I thought they could touch it.
Hooked is an incredible debut from Liz Fichera. I loved how completely original it was - I mean, a Native American girl joining an all-boys golf team? I've definitely never read anything like it before, and I loved it! It was fun and serious at the same time, and I found that really entertaining.

Fred Oday lives on the Gila River Indian Reservation (a.k.a. the "Rez"), along with the rest of the Native Americans in that area. They're all pretty isolated from the Caucasians, especially in school. The Indians stick with each other. So when Fred is offered a spot on the boys golf team at her high school, she's apprehensive at first. But Fred is determined to get a golf  scholarship and go to college, unlike her ancestors, so she accepts. Little did she know how much her decision would affect the other players on the team, particularly Seth Winter and his best friend, Ryan Berenger.

Fred is an awesome protagonist - I loved her from the beginning. She isn't whiny or bratty, and she doesn't make incredibly stupid decisions like a lot of other female protagonists. Fred is strong-willed and brave, though a little naive. She's compassionate and really wants to see the good in everyone, even in people who don't have any good left to show. I found myself really connecting with Fred in this novel, even though I know practically nothing about golf. So I guess that shows just how much I liked her!

Ryan, on the other hand, didn't give me a good first impression. He seemed like a typical rich kid - spoiled and arrogant. Thinking he rules the school. I felt that he relied too much on Seth and his opinions, and so he decided to hate Fred from the start. He later discovers that, well, he just can't resist Fred's charms! I grew to really like Ryan as the novel progressed. There was some awesome character development for him, and he revealed a completely different side of himself that no one has seen before. And of course Fred played a huge part in helping him bring out that side. I loved how their relationship developed in Hooked, because it definitely wasn't insta-love. More like insta-hate, and then they grew to like each other after spending so much time with each other.

Ryan and Fred's relationship had a lot of rocky spots, which involved mostly misunderstandings. I got kind of frustrated with them, but I was thankful when they eventually made up. I blame Seth for all the downs in their relationship! It's really all his fault. Ugh I hated him so much!
I really liked how protective Ryan became of Fred. It was ironic to see that after how much he hated her in the beginning! The dual points of view helped me understand both Fred and Ryan, and it helped me connect with both of them. Plus, I loved reading about how uncertain they felt when they discovered that they actually really liked each other!

I also loved a few of the minor characters. Riley, Ryan's sister, was awesome to read about - bubbly and positive. She's got loads of common sense too, and she's surprisingly level-headed in a panicky situation.
Sam is another character I really liked. He is Fred's childhood friend from the Rez. They've known each other their whole lives. Sam is extremely protective of Fred, though maybe a bit too much. But he's sweet, and he really means well. I felt sorry for him in a lot of scenes, but after reaching the end of the book, I cheered up. Want to know why? Because the sequel, Played, is Riley and Sam's story! I honestly cannot wait to read that!

The plot of Hooked was well-paced - not too slow, not too fast. The dual perspectives confused me sometimes, but I definitely prefer that over reading from just Fred's point of view. There was a lot of golf terminology in this book, but there's a very nice glossary at the back of the book which helped me understand the terms. 

I really loved Hooked, even though it's not the kind of book I usually read, and I think it's definitely going to be one of my favourite 2013 debuts. I loved how Liz Fichera mixed the lightness and humour of the novel with controversial themes like racism and poverty. Liz has created some amazing characters, and I can't wait to see more of them in Played!

*Thank you to Liz Fichera for providing an ARC for review*

Rating: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. Gahh! Now this book sounds even more amazing!!!! Awesome review!!! What a coincidence, i literally just added this book like an hour ago!! :O haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book to and I loved Fred. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love this book lot lot... but i read this in ebook format from infibeam... can anyone get the way to buy this book as hard copy...? I want to read this again....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your review's good! This is indeed a lovely book ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!