Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Top Ten Tuesday #7: Top Ten Books I Read In 2012

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and it features top ten lists of various topics.

Wow this is hard! I've read so many amazing books this year and I don't know if I can choose just 10. I'll try, though!
So here are my top ten books of 2012. Some of them will come as no surprise to most of you :P

1. Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout - Of course this has to be my top book. It was absolutely amazing, so much more than I had expected. And that's saying something, because I expected a lot! And that ending... It was simultaneously the best and worst ending I've ever read. You'll know what I mean if you've read it.

2. Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout - Again, no surprise. This had so many twists and turns, and it was filled with action and humour; the way I like it. Plus, the romance was incredible! Again, that ending... Jennifer is definitely the queen of cliffhangers!

3. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green - Loved, loved, LOVED this one. I was actually surprised about how much I loved it, because it doesn't seem like the kind of book I'd like. But John Green completely sucked me in with his beautiful writing and awesome characters, and I actually had tears in my eyes at the end.

4. Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris - I loved the sci-fi concept of alternate universes, and I really really loved Janelle and Ben. Janelle is one of the most kick-ass YA heroines I've read about, and Ben's just plain awesome. Their chemistry together was amazing, and the mystery part of the book was epic. Again, an ending that brought tears to my eyes. I think devastating endings are a must-have for really good books!

5. Divergent by Veronica Roth - I'm a huge fan of dystopian books, and I've got to say that this is my favourite so far. The idea of factions is very original and interesting, and I loved the character development in this book - not only of Tris, but of Four and Catherine as well.

6. Through The Ever Night by Veronica Rossi - I would have put Under The Never Sky in this list too, but I decided one book from each series will do. Since I liked Through The Ever Night better, it made my list. This is again one of my favourite dystopian series, and Perry is one of my favourite characters ever! I was beyond excited when I won an ARC of this book, and I devoured it in a day. It blew my mind, and I can't wait for everyone to read it next month!

7. If I Stay by Gayle Forman - This is the book that really got me into YA contemporary. It was so moving and intense. It really made me wonder about a lot of things, and of life in general. It's the kind of book you can't help thinking about as you lay in bed the night after you finished it. Another book that made me tear!

8. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - I just read this one a couple of weeks ago, and it drew me in instantly. I've never read anything like it before, and the strikethroughs just made the reading experience even more interesting for me. Plus, I absolutely love Tahereh Mafi's writing style. It's so beautiful!

9. Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins - This was an awesome paranormal read - it was fun, intense and romantic all at the same time. I loved the incorporation of angels and demons in it, and of course Kaidan is the main reason I loved this book so much! He's one of those typical misunderstood bad boys, but Kaidan is completely unique all by himself. And my heart melts when he goes all sweet with Anna!


10. Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare - Even though this was one of the first books I read in 2012, it made it to this list because it was incredible! I bought this book as soon as it came out, and couldn't put it down until I'd finished the last page. And that cliffhanger ending, oh my god. I really cannot wait for Clockwork Princess to come out so I can finally know how the trilogy ends!

11. A Million Suns by Beth Revis - Okay I had to have 11 books on this list because there's no way this book couldn't be on it. A Millions Suns surpassed my expectations immensely, and I loved the element of danger at every turn, as well as the mystery woven throughout the plot. Again, with that ending, I'm dying to read Shades Of Earth!



Okay so that's eleven books. Hey, I'm not perfect! 
I realize that this list is very similar to the one in my last Top Ten Tuesday post, but it makes sense since these authors are among my favourite new 2012 ones!

10 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for Shades of Earth, too! :) Here’s my TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/top-books/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Unravelling so, so much! Way more than I was expecting. I should have included that on my list... I'm so excited for the sequel! And I can't wait for Shades of Earth either. I need to know what happens!

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Divergent, it would have been on my list, but I read it last year, and I still haven't read Insurgent. I can't wait to read Through the Ever Night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fault in Stars is on my list also and i'm not even a YA fan, I think that will past the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read Obsidian and Onyx and adored them. They made my top ten list, but I've been restraining myself from starting Opal until I finish another book.

    And funny you should mention the end of Opal... because guess what I did?!?! I turned to the back of the book because I wanted to see if this was the last in the series or if there was previews or extras in the back or something... and I saw the last freaking line of the book!!! NO!!!! I didn't want to see that!!! I never look at last pages for that reason. Why did I do that?!?!

    I loved Divergent and The Fault in Our Stars too! Great list!

    New follower because you have good taste in books ;)

    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOO you SO shouldn't have done that!! Hope it doesn't spoil the rest of the book for you :/
      Following back!

      Delete
  6. I still have to read Deity (lol, I am waiting till my paperback copy of elixer is here so I can read that one afterwards). I also own shatter me, but still haven't had the time to read it! I have read Divergent and loved it! I also have read Sweet Evil and even though I didn't enjoy it as much as you did, it was an enjoyable read. Nice top 11!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a couple of the same books on our lists. TFIOS and If I Stay. Real tear jerkers. I have heard The Unraveling is very good and I really want to read it. I am gonna look into it.

    Great list,

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved Sweet Evil! Man I got a lot of catching up to do cause I have not read any of the books yet but they are on my TBR lol ...I am super stoked to read Opal, Deity, and the ID series =]

    Mirsada @ The Little Red Reader

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHHH I need to read Opal like right now! Glad to hear you liked it. We have a lot of similar ones on our lists. Thanks for stopping by today. Gonna add you on twitter now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!