Sunday, 23 December 2012

Review: Rogue Alliance by Michelle Bellon


Trying to escape a horrific past, Shyla has immersed herself in life as a tough, sassy cop in the bustle of LA. When the case of a lifetime takes her back to her hometown of Redding, she is thrown into a world of organised crime, deceit, and bitter reminders of her childhood.

As Shyla’s path crosses that of Brennan, an unwitting and troubled sidekick to the ringleader she’s intent on taking down, she is forced to re-evaluate everything she believes about herself, her job, and what she knows about right and wrong.

Can she face the demons of her upbringing and learn to trust again? Her life will depend on it.












Wow. I was honestly speechless after reading this book. In fact, I couldn't get it out of my head even a whole day after I finished it - that's how much of an impact it had on me! Rogue Alliance was absolutely captivating; I couldn't stop reading even if I wanted to. And I didn't. This book was filled with action, suspense, and mystery, as well as heart-warming romance!

Let me begin with the plot. It was unlike anything I've read before. Michelle Bellon introduced a whole new theory of the concept of vampires, and I loved it. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out this book had elements of paranormal in it! The plot was fast-paced, and I was on the edge of my seat for a good portion of it. I really liked reading about cop life in the USA, and Shyla just made that experience even more awesome.

Shyla is a cop with a troubled past. When she is assigned to her hometown, a place she never thought she'd go back to, she begins to doubt herself for the first time. Shyla is a totally kick-ass protagonist, and I liked her spontaneity. She jumps head-first into any situation, regardless of the risks, because she does whatever she can to get the job done. She'll do anything to put the bad guys behind bars, and I mean anything. Her actions even shocked me at times! She's brave and witty, but not without flaws. Her traumatic childhood experiences have changed her forever, and she keeps to herself, not letting anyone in. Until Brennan, that is. She shows a vulnerable side of herself when Brennan is with her, and it made me see her in a different light. Brennan is the one person who can bring out those emotions in her.

Enter Brennan, the 'vampire' in the novel. He's been genetically altered, and has superhuman strength and reflexes. Sounds great, right? One catch. He has to rely on blood for his body to function. I found myself sympathizing with Brennan a lot in this novel. I mean, he's had it as rough as it can get. Locked up in a cell for fourteen years? I'd go crazy! But Brennan survived through it, and was rescued by none other than the villain of this book, whom I'll get to later. Brennan's unfailing loyalty is admirable, though it made me want to hit him in the head sometimes. He's also compassionate, and has a sense of right and wrong. I loved his interaction with Shyla - his initial reservation as well as his instinct to protect her. They make a strong, amazing couple, and their romance was fiery!

Victor Champlain is the epitome of cruel. He's the leader of a criminal organization dealing with illegal drugs, and he rescues Brennan from the institute in order to hire him as his personal bodyguard. Victor is ruthless - he will do anything to get what he wants, and he won't let anyone get in the way. I felt he was developing a sort of affection for Brennan as time went by, but I'm pretty sure I was wrong. Victor doesn't care for anyone other than himself, and he doesn't hesitate to betray his allies. I found myself becoming increasingly scared of him as I went deeper into the novel!

I really liked Shyla's colleagues, the ones who were working on the case with her. Jason and Shawn are young but determined, and I liked how protective Shawn was over Shyla. Hal, the Chief of Police in Shyla's hometown of Redding, was also a very likeable character. He believed in Shyla right from the beginning until the very end, and his trust in her was amazing.
One character I didn't particularly like was Carmen, a thirteen-year-old girl who surprisingly makes friends with Shyla. She seemed slightly superficial and shallow to me, and her mood changes annoyed me. However, this didn't in the least hamper my enjoyment of the novel, so kudos to Michelle Bellon for creating such an incredible piece of work!

Rogue Alliance is a perfect start to what I know is going to be an amazing series. There were a lot of twists and turns, and some of them are downright shocking! The cliffhanger at the end made me want to scream, and I desperately need the sequel now! I strongly urge anyone who likes crime/thriller novels to check this book out, because it will rock your world. With its beautifully crafted plot, highly-developed characters and intense action scenes, Rogue Alliance is definitely not to be missed!

*Thank you to Michelle Bellon for providing me with a copy of Rogue Alliance for review*

Rating: 5/5

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear there are still fresh takes of vamps out there!
    Happy reading and have a happy holidays and Merry Christmas!
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I had no idea this had a paranormal element to it. I'm gonna have to try this one, it sounds very interesting. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!