Sunday, 9 December 2012

Review: Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.


But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.


Together we’re stronger... and they know it.






*Spoilers for Onyx below, don't read on if you haven't read that yet*

I had no doubt at all that I was going to totally love this book. Opal was everything I wanted and more - fast-paced, intense, funny, and just filled with all kinds of awesome. Jennifer Armentrout truly is a genius! This is definitely among my top 2012 reads. I was speechless after finishing this book - it was that amazing.

Needless to say, I finished Opal in one go, without any breaks at all! I read until my eyes started to hurt but I still couldn't look away. That's how much power Jennifer's words hold over me. In my opinion Opal is her best book so far, and if the next book, Origin, tops this, I think I might explode.

After that ending in Onyx, I was dying to know how Dawson would turn out. I surprisingly really liked him in Opal! I thought he might be broken, that he would never be the same again. He isn't broken, but he's not the same either. He's recovering, though. I admire how much strength he has, and how determined he is to get Bethany back. He's like Daemon in that sense - he would do anything to protect those he cares about. I liked the fact that Dawson and Katy connected in this book. I thought it might be kind of awkward between them, but it really wasn't. In fact, he was more comfortable around Katy than Daemon for most of the book. That part was heartbreaking, that Dawson wasn't talking to Daemon and Dee much throughout the book. I get that he's been through so much, but I want Daemon and Dee to get him back.

Daemon was totally swoon-worthy in Opal! Even more than in Onyx, if that's possible. He was incredibly sweet and romantic and completely un-Daemon-like. The things he did for Katy... A couple of them actually brought tears to my eyes! Oh, Daemon. Why are you not real?
Daemon's grown a lot in this series, personality-wise. He's a better person. But I was also happy to see that the annoying but funny Daemon was still there.


Daemon snatched the yellow packages from my hands. “Oh! Books! You have books!”
I laughed as several people waiting in line looked over their shoulders. “Hand them over.”
He clutched them to his chest, making moony eyes. “My life is now complete.”

I loved this scene! It was hilarious, it really was. And now here are a few Daemon quotes that will probably make you melt on the spot.
“It’s going to be okay. No matter what, I’m not going to let anything happen to you.”
"You make me want to be different."
You’re warmth and light and everything I don’t deserve, but you—you believe that I deserve you. Knowing all that I have done in my past to other people and to you, you still believe I deserve you.”
“I love you, Katy. Always have. Always will"
 The scenes that these lines have been taken from are probably my favourites in the book! Daemon is the sweetest guy ever, completely different from the jerk we first met in Obsidian. I kind of miss that Daemon, but at the same time I love who he's become.

I have mixed feelings about Katy in this book. I think she's rash and she made some bad decisions, but then she's only human. Well, kind of. I like how strong and stubborn she is, as well as how loyal she is. I really sympathized with her, especially when Dee did everything she could to avoid her. I was cheering in my head when Dee finally came around!

Speaking of Dee. I felt incredibly sorry for her throughout the book. I don't know how she could cope with Adam's death alone, because she pushed everyone else away. I get that she's mad at Katy for indirectly causing Adam's death, but she's her best friend and I really hoped she'd forgive her sometime. I don't know if she did, but at least she kind of went back to the old Dee later on in the book!

I was actually surprised to find that I was starting to like Ash and Andrew in Opal. Yes, Ash is still a bitch, but she actually cares about stuff. Plus, she was nicer to Katy. Andrew... Well, he's still pissed at Katy. But I appreciated how he was helping Dee get over Adam's death. I just hope they don't end up together in future books, because that would be really gross.

There are so many OMG moments in this book, my head was spinning as I tried to keep up. A couple of old enemies return, friendships are made and broken, and oh my god the ending. Even if you haven't read Opal, I assume you know that there's a humongous cliffhanger at the end. It actually made me cry! And not a lot of books can do that, so you know how much this affected me. You will scream, cry, and yell in frustration after finishing this book, and I need Origin like a druggie needs cocaine. I'm not even kidding!

I actually re-read the book the day after I read it the first time, and that tells you that you can never get bored of it. This book was truly mind-blowing, and it definitely does not fall into middle-book syndrome. Far from it! If you haven't read the Lux series yet, you're missing out on a lot. I enjoyed every second of Opal, and I'm dying to read Origin now!

Rating: 5/5

3 comments:

  1. I love the series, but I haven't gotten the opportunity to read this one yet. Awesome review, and I'm crossing my fingers to get this on Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this and completely agree with you! Except that I feel really bad for Katy because she keeps getting bad things thrown at her over and over again. I will say, also, that I screamed at the ending because it SUCH a cliffhanger. My best friend made me read her copy of this just so she could yell with me about the ending. I'll admit, I didn't want to read it when I did because I wanted to read it closer to the next one's release date. But I love my friend, so I'll suffer alongside her *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first i didn't like the series when i read Obsidian but then i read Onyx and now i can't wait for reading this one! I really like the quotes :3 and your review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!