Friday, 9 November 2012

Review: Roar and Liv by Veronica Rossi

Before Perry and Aria, there was Roar and Liv.

After a childhood spent wandering the borderlands, Roar finally feels like he has a home with the Tides. His best friend Perry is like a brother to him, and Perry's sister, Liv, is the love of his life. But Perry and Liv's unpredictable older brother, Vale, is the Blood Lord of the Tides, and he has never looked kindly on Roar and Liv's union. Normally, Roar couldn't care less about Vale's opinion. But with food running low and conditions worsening every day, Vale's leadership is more vital—and more brutal—than ever. Desperate to protect his tribe, Vale makes a decision that will shatter the life Roar knew and change the fate of the Tides forever.













This is an Under The Never Sky novella, from Roar's perspective. First, I want to say that I absolutely loved Roar in Under The Never Sky, and I couldn't wait to read Roar and Liv, since it's in his POV. I seriously cannot get enough of these amazing characters! Roar and Liv was a fantastic and fulfilling read, and I liked getting an insight into how Roar's mind works.

I was mentally jumping up and down in my head while reading this! Roar is an awesome protagonist. He's funny and serious at the same time, and is extremely loyal to Perry and Liv. He's very protective of Liv, and would do absolutely anything for her.



All I have ever wanted is to be there for the two people who mean everything to me.

His unfailing loyalty really touched me. Even though he's reckless and has a devil-may-care air about him, he's kind and he will give everything up for his best friend and girlfriend. I really hope to see a lot more of Roar in Through The Ever Night!

I loved seeing Perry again, and he's as sarcastic and protective as always. He loves Roar like a brother, and they're very comfortable around each other. Perry and Roar's relationship is incredibly strong, and I don't think anything can come between them. Except Liv, of course.

Enter Liv. She's bubbly, witty, passionate and brave. Oh, and stubborn. Very stubborn. Also, she's very independent, and doesn't depend on Roar or Perry for anything. Her strength is admirable, and she reminded me a lot of Perry. They look quite alike physically, and they're alike in personality as well. 



As we approach the beach trail, I spot two tall figures with pale hair up ahead and frown. It ruffles me a bit, not being able to tell apart my best friend from my girlfriend from this distance. But then one of the figures dashes across the sandy trail and jumps into my arms and I’m reasonably sure it’s Liv and not Perry.
This scene kinda shows how alike Perry and Liv are in appearance, and it also brings out Roar's dry humour. He's hilarious in this novella! Plus, it made me picture Perry jumping into Roar's arms, and I couldn't stop laughing!

Roar and Liv have amazing chemistry, and it broke my heart when Roar found out that Vale sold Liv to the Horns. Oh, how I hate Vale. He doesn't care about his siblings at all, even stooping low enough to publicly hurt and humiliate Perry for Roar's mistake. I honestly don't think there's any hope for him, and I feel so sorry for Talon, for being stuck with a dad like Vale.

Anyway, back to Roar and Liv. They are so in love! They're adorable together. I really loved this scene between them -

We end up on the sand trying to forget the past hours with kisses and whispered words. It doesn’t work. People say only Scires can render, but it’s not true. I feel her sadness and her fear. Whatever Liv feels, I feel.
I hold her and watch her drift asleep in my arms. I watch her for a long time afterward.
Then I force my eyes closed, and still her face is there.
This girl. She’s all I see.


 Roar is perfect! Absolutely perfect. Liv doesn't know how lucky she is. Okay, maybe she does. He's so understanding of Liv, and respects her for the choices she makes. And that ending! I really really hope they find each other in Through The Ever Night. They have to. And I can't wait to see their reactions when they do!

Roar and Liv is a beautiful story. If only it were longer... There was just enough action for me to love it, and the deadpan humour embedded throughout the novella was amazing! All in all, a short but fun read. Veronica Rossi is a brilliant author, and after reading the excerpt from Through The Ever Night at the end of the novella, I can't wait to devour the whole book!

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!