Saturday, 17 November 2012

Review: Reached by Ally Condie




After leaving Society and desperately searching for the Rising—and each other—Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again: Cassia has been assigned to work for the Rising from within Society, while Ky has been stationed outside its borders. But nothing is as predicted, and all too soon the veil lifts and things shift once again.

In this gripping conclusion to the #1 
New York Times-bestselling Matched Trilogy, Cassia will reconcile the difficulties of challenging a life too confining, seeking a freedom she never dreamed possible, and honoring a love she cannot live without.











Reached is a satisfying ending to the Matched trilogy, and it ties up almost all the loose ends accumulated throughout the series. There is a lot of emotion built into this book. It's intense, exciting, and filled with action and suspense.

The finale to the trilogy focuses on a plague that spreads throughout the Society, as well as the Rising's eventual revolution. My heart was in my mouth several times as the characters raced to find solutions before they ran out of time. There are a lot of twists in this book, and some of them will definitely leave you shocked. 

Reached starts off at a good pace, but slows down drastically about a quarter into the book. However, it picks up about three-quarters in, so it's just the middle part that I had to force myself to get through. The reason it slowed down was that there was way too much focus on the plague. It literally took over the whole book! I get that it's an important aspect of the plot, but I don't think we'd want to sit and read all about the symptoms and the scientific reasons behind the mutation.

One thing I loved about Reached was the three-person narrative. We get to look into Cassia, Ky, and Xander's minds, and feel their emotions. I was especially interested in Xander's perspective, because it was really different from Cassia and Ky's. Moreover, we didn't get to read from his point of view in  either of the previous books, and that disappointed me, since Xander was my favourite out of the three. So I was, of course, ecstatic when I realized Reached had loads of Xander-narrated chapters in it!

Cassia displayed a lot of strength in this novel, much more than she did in Matched or Crossed. It's easy to see how much her character has developed, and she becomes a true leader. She's extremely passionate and independent, and probably one of the strongest female leads I've read about.
I didn't like Ky as much as I did in Crossed. Firstly because he was hardly there, and didn't do much when he was. I didn't feel his presence in this book.

Xander, of course, was awesome. We got to see a lot more of what he's like as a person, and I really liked that. He's exceptionally kind-hearted and sacrificing. He spent all his time taking care of the patients, even when he thought there was danger of him catching the plague virus. He still cares deeply for Cassia, and it broke my heart that she had chosen Ky instead.

Indie was exactly the same as I remembered from Crossed - cheerful, sarcastic, quirky and full of life. She was a bright spark in the otherwise dull section of the book, and I looked forward to reading about anything that didn't involve the plague. A couple of other characters from Crossed make an appearance, but I'm sad to say I didn't really remember them since it's been a long time that I've read the previous two books.

I admit I'm not a huge fan of the Matched trilogy, but Ally Condie's writing never fails to amaze me. The way she writes is beautiful and poetic, without any artificial elements to it. It's unique and exceptional, and it really speaks to you. Condie's writing is the reason I didn't give this book 3 stars. Well, that and Xander.

The ending is bittersweet, in a way, but I have to say it was an amazing ending. Condie's writing had a sort of finality to it at the end, the kind that makes your eyes tear. It is slightly ambiguous, and I think that's effective in creating a good ending to a series. Again, I must applaud Ally Condie for her beautiful and moving writing. I loved the poetry incorporated in Reached, and in the previous books as well. All in all, Reached is compelling and memorable, with only a few minor plot flaws.




Some people think the stars must look closer from up here.
They don’t.
When you’re up here, you realize how distant they really are—how impossible to reach.
Rating: 3.5/5

3 comments:

  1. I'm extremely excited for Reached because of Xander too! He's my favorite and it kind of pains me that he's not really featured in Matched and Crossed. But Reached compensates that for me.

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking foward to this book. But it sounds a bit boring through the middle. Oh well I'll see how it goes. I do love Xander so I guess I will enjoy some of it!

    Thanks for the heads-up..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally just ordered my copy, realizing that I hadn't already pre-ordered it. I can't wait to finally read it! Based on all the reviews I've already read, it's bound to be amazing!

    Marlene Detierro (Search Engine Optimization San Antonio)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!