Saturday, 24 November 2012

Review: Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick

Will love conquer all?

Nora and Patch thought their troubles were behind them. Hank is gone and they should be able to put his ugly vendetta to rest. But in Hank's absence, Nora has become the unwitting head of the Nephilim and must finish what Hank began. Which ultimately means destroying the fallen angels - destroying Patch.

Nora will never let that happen, so she and Patch make a plan: lead everyone to believe they have broken up, and work the system from the inside. Nora will convince the Nephilim that they are making a mistake in fighting the fallen angels, and Patch will find out everything he can from the opposing side. They will end this war before it can even begin.

But the best-laid plans often go awry. Nora is put through the paces in her new role and finds herself drawn to an addictive power she never anticipated.

As the battle lines are drawn, Nora and Patch must confront the differences that have always been between them and either choose to ignore them or let them destroy the love they have always fought for.




I was going to write this review a week ago but I was completely SWAMPED with schoolwork. Better late than never, right?
Finale was beautiful. Extraordinary. Everything I could ever want in the final book of a series. I've been with Patch and Nora since the very beginning, and it was heartbreaking to finally say goodbye to them. I've waited for this book for a full year, and let me tell you right now that it was definitely worth the wait.

The stakes are higher than ever in this novel. Nora has to make a very difficult choice - one that will affect not only her, but everyone and everything in her life. Which side will she pick? I'm obviously not going to tell you that! I am truly blown away by Nora's character in this book. She's grown so much over the course of the series, and she's so much stronger now, so much more independent. She's a pureblood Nephilim now, thanks to Hank, and she spends the most part of this book training to develop her newfound strength. There were a lot of moments where Nora annoyed me, though. I don't agree with a lot of her decisions, but I understand why she made them.

And now to Patch. Oh, Patch, why can't you be real? Patch is hands down one on the best YA guys I've read about. Even though he can't physically feel Nora's touch, his constant love for her is admirable. No matter how many stupid things she does, how much she argues with him, he'll always love her. He's extremely protective of her in Finale, within reason. Patch and Nora's story has a beautiful and perfect ending, and I was really happy about that. Just a few Patch/Nora lines I loved - 
“I want to wake up with you every morning and fall asleep beside you each night,” Patch told me gravely. “I want to take care of you, cherish you, and love you in a way no other man ever could. I want to spoil you — every kiss, every touch, every thought, they all belong to you. I’ll make you happy. Every day, I’ll make you happy.”
"You’re mine, Angel. Every last piece of you. I won’t let anything change that.”  
“Every time you strip my sword, I owe you a kiss. How's that sound?" I bit my lip to keep from giggling. "That sounds really dirty." Patch waggled his brows. "Look whose mind just rolled into the gutter.” 
"Be my girl, Nora. Be my everything.”  
I've always felt that the Hush, Hush saga had some of the best supporting characters in YA literature. I still strongly support my opinion. I absolutely love Scott! He's my favourite character in this series (other than maybe Patch), because of his loyalty, goofiness, strength, and ability to make anyone laugh no matter what the situation is. Scott is a bright and shining star in this otherwise dark novel. And I mean dark in a good way! The same goes for Vee - she brings humour to the book. Vee is exactly the same as before, and I love that she stuck with Nora through everything. They've been through so much together even though Vee never knew the full story, and they're incredibly lucky to have each other. We find out a huge secret about Vee, something I never saw coming! You'll have to read the book to find out what it is ;)
Dante is a new character to the series, and he's very enigmatic in the beginning. I didn't know what to think of him. I really started to like him though, because of his sarcastic personality and dry sense of humour. Dante is in charge of training Nora as a Nephilim, and he takes his job seriously. Well, most of the time. There's a huge twist in Finale involving Dante, but I won't say anything more about that either.

Speaking of twists, there are so many in this book! It's like a roller coaster, and I had to be focused in order to keep up with it. Some are anticipated, some are unexpected, and some just come out of nowhere and knock your socks off! All of them contribute greatly to the plot of Finale, and I think they wrap up the series very well.

There is a reason I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5. A very big reason. You'll know it when you come to it. Clue: It's towards the end. Okay, that's not much of a clue, since the big stuff always happens near the end of a book. The climax is bittersweet, but overall I'm happy with how everything turned out. 

Becca Fitzpatrick provided a perfect closure to this phenomenal series, and I have no doubt I will be re-reading these books for quite a while. Also, I can't wait for Fitzpatrick's new book in 2014! I love her writing, and I miss it already. I miss Patch and Nora and Scott and Vee, and I still can't believe their story is over. I can't really get my head around that fact. I just can't. When a series I really love comes to an end, I feel lost. That's exactly how I feel right now, and it might take me a while to get over it.

Finale is truly an amazing end to the Hush, Hush series. Filled with action, suspense, and humour, this book will completely blow you away and leave you stunned at the end. Fitzpatrick has created such loveable characters in this series, it actually hurts to realize there's no more of this. Becca Fitzpatrick, I bow down to you and thank you for the amazingness that is the Hush, Hush saga.

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Very nice blog, following now.

    If your interested you can check out my blog at http://thebookknoll.blogspot.com/

    you can also follow me on twitter @thebookknoll

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading this book, I love it! Let's hope Becca will surprise us with an even greater story than this one, I really liked her writing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!