Sunday, 11 November 2012

Review: Elixir by Jennifer L. Armentrout




Aiden St. Delphi will do anything to save Alex.
Even if it means doing the one thing he will never forgive himself for.
Even if it means making war against the gods.





















*Do not read this review if you haven't read Deity yet*
Okay firstly, that cover! ♥ I can't stop staring at it. The Covenant series has beautiful covers, and this is one of my favourites. It's so captivating!
Now to the novella. Elixir starts off almost right where Deity ends, which I am really happy about because that cliffhanger at the end of Deity was huge. I'm so grateful I didn't have to wait at all after finishing Deity! I started Elixir right after I finished it, and devoured it one go.

Elixir is told from Aiden's perspective, and I loved that. It's awesome to know what goes on in Aiden's head, and he's actually a really great protagonist. Alex has connected with Seth, and she's totally different now. I can't imagine the pain Aiden feels to hear her say all these terrible things to him! It's literally heartbreaking.


“Alex, you have to be in there. I know you. My heart would not be beating if you were truly gone.”
 Alex under Seth's influence is weird but interesting at the same time. She says all these snarky things she would never say otherwise, and some of her comments actually made me laugh. This particular scene was hilarious!

“Marcus?” Alex faced us. “Yes, Alexandria?”
One side of her lips tipped up as her gaze slid to mine. “Does it bother you that Aiden and I have been... how do I put this? He’s seen me naked? Multiple times.”
There's a huge twist in the middle of the novella, and it changes, well, everything. I loved how unpredictable and mind-blowing Elixir was, even though it's a novella and only 80 pages long. In these 80 pages, Jennifer Armentrout packs in action, romance, humour, and a whole lot of awesome! She really knows how to shock readers with her amazing plot twists.

One more thing I loved about Elixir - more gods! Apollo is prevalent, of course, but a couple of new ones are introduced as well. Let me just say that Deacon was very pleased about one of them ;)

Speaking of Deacon, he was a really supportive brother to Aiden in this novella, and it's sweet how they're always there for each other no matter what. Luke was awesome too, and I'm starting to like Lea a lot more than I did before. That goes for Marcus too. He really cares about Alex, and I could tell he was hurting too, watching 'Evil Alex' and listening to her threats.

In Elixir, Aiden's unconditional love for Alex is right out there for all to see, and it's beautiful. When he tells her about the first time he saw her... it gave me chills, it really did! I need Apollyon so badly now, and I need Alex to break the connection with Seth. I don't know why Seth would hurt Alex like that, since I thought he actually cared about her. I guess he's completely corrupted by Lucian now. But there's hope for Alex, so I believe there's hope for Seth too. I wouldn't want to see Alex killing Seth in a future book!

The ending in Elixir is as much a cliffhanger as that of Deity, and Aiden's unwavering resolve to save Alex is admirable. He would make war against the gods to save her, and Marcus, Deacon, Luke and even Lea are with him every step of the way. Every single one of them is loyal to Alex, and I can't wait to see the outcome of their decision in Apollyon.

Filled with drama and suspense, Elixir will shock, amaze and even delight you. It will give you the hope you know is there, and shows you the lengths Aiden will go to bring Alex back. If Elixir is any indication of what is to come, Apollyon is definitely going to knock my socks off!

Rating: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. I'm waiting for this book like forever. Already preordered from months ago and still hasn't come yet TT_TT
    I understand it's because the holidays season than every shipping would take a little longer than usual. Can't wait to read this book.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!