Saturday, 10 November 2012

Review: Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout

"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "

Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...





*I tried to keep this spoiler-free but a couple of minor ones may have slipped in*

Oh. My. Gods. There are no words to express how much I loved this book. Okay, there are, which is why I'm writing this review. Deity was absolutely amazing. I had very high expectations for this book, and it lived up to all of them. Deity is definitely the best Covenant book so far, and one of the best books I've read this year. Apollyon is going to have to completely blow my mind to top this!

Deity starts off at a fast pace. There's a huge OMG moment in the first chapter itself, and I don't even know how many there are in the whole book; every chapter will have you gasping in shock. Most of the events in Deity lead up to Alex's Awakening, and there are so many twists and turns that you'll be reeling by the end.

Alex is pretty much the same awesome, stubborn, tough and compassionate girl she was in the previous books. And still vain, of course! I loved this random line in the book - 





“If it scars, I’m gonna be so pissed.”
Alex makes me laugh so much! She's feisty and witty and I don't know how anyone can possibly not love her. She's also incredibly self-sacrificing in this book, and I got to see a different side of her here - a more vulnerable side. Alex is afraid of Awakening, of becoming someone she's not. That fear leads her to do a lot of things, and it changes her. She's still as reckless as always, though. Here are a couple more quotes that made me laugh at her boldness and humour -
Throwing a sub at the Apollyon probably wasn’t something that should be done in public. But I couldn’t help it; I laughed.
 Seth kissed me again and I debated pulling his hair out by the fistful while the bond between us tried its best to choke the living crap out of me.
Leon is freaking awesome in this book, he really is. I love him! His dry humour is hilarious, and the way he shows up out of nowhere to save Alex is really cool. Plus, there's something you'll find out about Leon in Deity, and it's so hard for me not to give it away!
“Why is it every time I see you, you are about to do something you shouldn’t?”
This is so true. Leon has the worst (or best, depending on how you see it) timing ever. At least when it comes to Alex. I also find it amusing how much he dislikes Seth. He's funny about it, not all intense like Aiden.

Speaking of Aiden. *Sigh* Aiden was perfect in Deity. Absolutely perfect. After what he did for Alex in Pure, I knew it was only a matter of time before he breaks his amazingly strong self-control. Thank goodness it happened in Deity! I can't believe Alex had no idea how Aiden felt about her before; it was glaringly obvious to me. Aiden would never let anything happen to Alex. Simple as that. One particular chapter in Deity (those of you who've read it, you know what I'm talking about!) was so completely swoon-worthy I had to read it like thrice!
Damp silky waves of dark hair clung to his forehead and temples. The dim light of the room still highlighted those high cheekbones and lips I’d memorized so long ago. Aiden rarely ever fully smiled, but when he did, it was breathtaking.
Aiden is the best thing about this series. And one of the best characters I've read about. Ever. I love him and Alex together, they're made for each other! Alex is so incredibly lucky to have Aiden, and she knows it.
He got me in a way very few people did. He didn’t need a bond to do so, like Seth. Aiden figured me out through his unwavering patience... and not putting up with any of my crap.
It's sweet how protective he is of Alex even though he knows she can take care of herself. Plus, he's so comforting with her. Alex can go to him for anything, and she has complete trust in him. They would gladly give up everything for each other, and I don't know whether that will help them or cause them pain in future books.
“I’m afraid of never being allowed to feel what I do.”
Oh gods, this line. This line changes everything. Aiden has amazing self-control, but even he isn't that strong. Sooner or later he had to let it slip. Not going to say any more about that! In Deity, Aiden tells Alex the story of how his parents died, and oh gods, it was heartbreaking! It really moved me. It also explain a lot about why Aiden is how he is.
Aiden respects Alex so much, and he holds her really high in his mind. He admires her strength and resilience, and that's basically what drew him to her in the first place.
“You’re the only person who has control over who you become. You’re too strong to ever lose yourself. I believe that. Why can’t you?”
Alright, now we come to Seth. Oh, Seth. Why? I don't want to give anything much away, but Seth changes so much in Deity. So much it's unbelievable. I really liked Seth in Half-Blood and Pure, and I still liked him in the first part of Deity. He's funny and witty, and he can make Alex laugh at any time.
I sighed. “What happened... between us last night?”
A wicked grin played over his lips. “Well, most kids call it making out.”
Alex and Seth have a lot of steamy moments at the beginning of the novel, but the tension between them grows as Alex nears her birthday, the day she Awakens. Seth is slowly changing for the worse, becoming blinded by power. Although, even after he changes, there are moments of hesitation, of vulnerability, which make me think that there is still hope for him. There has to be. I know a lot of people who've read Deity hate Seth now, but I can't bring myself to feel the same. There's still hope. We find out about Seth's childhood in this book, and it made me feel so sorry for him! I desperately want him to redeem himself in Apollyon.

Another thing I loved about Deity - Some of the gods make an appearance! It was awesome to witness them in action, and to see their personalities. One of the gods we get to meet is the one and only Apollo! Yes, that's right. I absolutely loved him. And I loved how everyone else treats him with so much respect, but not Alex. Oh no, Alex just says and does whatever she feels like, as usual.
Slowly, I reached over and poked his arm. It felt like real flesh, warm and hard. Disappointed, I poked him again. I was expecting something amazing—celestial— by touching him. Instead all I got were weird looks from everyone in the room, including Apollo.
“Please stop touching me,” Apollo said.
How hilarious is this scene? I burst out laughing when I read it! Alex is one of a kind, definitely. She's just so wild and free, and so childlike at the same time. She really impressed me in this book, with her thoughts and actions. She's more... mature, in a way. But still the same as before, thank goodness.

And now the ending. That ending! Jennifer Armentrout is an absolutely brilliant writer, but wicked when it comes to cliffhangers! Thank god I had Elixir to read right after I finished Deity, so I didn't have to experience the torture that so many others did. Oh, one more thing I wanted to add about Deity - you haven't heard the last of Caleb! I had to say that. Now go read the book!

Deity is breathtaking, and it completely blew me away. It stunned, amazed, and electrified me all at once. I don't think a lot of books can do that. Jennifer, I bow down to you. I really do. If you haven't read the Covenant series yet, what the hell are you waiting for? Every second reading this series is a second well spent. Apollyon, I can't wait to get my hands on you!



I thought... I thought I’d lost you, Alex, forever. And I would’ve lost everything. You are my everything.”
Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!