Sunday, 7 October 2012

Sweet Evil Read-Along (Week 2)


The Sweet Evil Read-Along is hosted by Mindy at Magical Urban Fantasy Reads. This week's topic is Citrus or pear recipe.




Okay so I'm not much of a foodie, but I found this AMAZING Martha Stewart lemon meringue cupcake recipe. It seems easy to make, and looks delicious!

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature
  • Finely grated zest of 3 lemons (about 3 tablespoons), plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • Lemon curd
  • Seven-minute frosting

  • Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
    2. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in zest and vanilla. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk and lemon juice, and beat until everything is just combined.
    3. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until golden brown, and a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean - about 25 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
    4. To finish, spread 1 tablespoon lemon curd onto middle of each cupcake. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large open-star tip with frosting. Pipe frosting onto each cupcake, swirling tip slightly and releasing as you pull up to form a peak. Hold a small kitchen torch 3 to 4 inches from surface of frosting, and wave it back and forth until frosting is lightly browned all over. Serve immediately.

    WOW. I don't know about you, but I would definitely try this someday! Except maybe without so much frosting. And maybe with chocolate syrup on the top :D

    Returning to Sweet Evil, these chapters would have to be my favourite parts in the book, because Anna and Kaidan get to know each other more, and have these incredibly sweet moments. Here's one of them . 


    Everything about Kaidan was exciting and exotic. This was my first time traveling away from home, and he’d already seen so much. I ate my
    apple, glad it was crisp and not soft.
    “Which was your favorite place?” I asked.
    “I’ve never been terribly attached to any place. I guess it would have to be... here.”
    I stopped midchew and examined his face. He wouldn’t look at me. He was clenching his jaw, tense. Was he serious or was he teasing me? I
    swallowed my bite.
    “The Texas panhandle?” I asked.
    “No.” He seemed to choose each word with deliberate care. “I mean here in this car. With you.”
    Covered in goose bumps, I looked away from him and stared straight ahead at the road, letting my hand with the apple fall to my lap.
    He cleared his throat and tried to explain. “I’ve not talked like this with anyone, not since I started working, not even to the only four people in the
    world who I call friends. You have Patti, and even that boyfriend of yours. So this has been a relief of sorts. Kind of... nice.” He cleared his throat again.

    And here's another one!


    “I have something for you.”
    He pulled his hand out of his pocket, and when he opened it, sitting in his palm was the small, beautiful necklace of turquoise I’d admired in New Mexico. I stared in disbelief.
    “I saw you looking at it and thought you liked it,” he said.
    Oh, no, not the tears. Please not the tears. I blinked the stupid things away, thinking about how much I did not want to clean mascara from my face.
    “Have I upset you?” he asked.
    “No! I’m not upset. I’m just surprised. I can’t believe... I mean, I love it. Nobody’s ever given me anything like this.” I wiped hard under my eyes and then clasped the necklace around my neck.

    Anna and Kaidan also have these funny moments, and they become really comfortable around these chapters, when they're on the road trip. Anna also meets her dad at this point, and that was really interesting for me, since I was curious to know what he would be like. And that's all for Week 2!

    You can still sign up for the Read-Along, just click here!
    Oh, and make sure to enter the giveaway at Magical Urban Fantasy Reads, to win your choice of 5 ARCs :)

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a recipe I for sure have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cupcakes! And these ones sure looks delicious.
    Here's My Week 2 Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I love lemon cakes, so this looks AMAZING! I loved the reading this week. Everything started falling into place for me and I found myself not wanting to put the book down!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!