Thursday, 4 October 2012

Sweet Evil Read-Along (Week 1)



Hey guys, this is my first read-along and I'm really excited about it! I read Sweet Evil about a month ago, and I've re-read it once since then. This is my chance for another re-read :P

The Sweet Evil Read-Along is hosted by Mindy at Magical Urban Fantasy Reads. You can join the read-along too, it's going to be a lot of fun! Click here to join.

This week's topic is Road Trips.
I live in Singapore, a city in South-East Asia, and it's practically an island. No road trip opportunities here! I have kind of been on a road trip though, in South Island, NZ a couple of years ago with my family. We drove from Christchurch to Oamaru to Dunedin to Wanaka to Queenstown to Franz Josef to Greymouth, and then took the Tranz-Alpine back to Christchurch. It was a two-week stay at New Zealand, and a good part of it was spent on the road.

The places we visited were all beautiful, but my favourites by far were Queenstown and Franz Josef. How can you not love this? (Yes, I took these pictures. Quite the photographer, aren't I? Kidding!)


So the one above is lake Wakatipu in Queenstown, and the one on the left is the Franz Josef glacier. They're both amazing places, and we got to travel to the glacier by helicopter! Incredibly exciting and I felt so important ;)


Back to the road trip. I honestly don't remember that much about it, but what I do remember was that I had loads of fun! I made a mix CD to listen to in the car, so I wouldn't get bored. The scenery was incredible, and I think we must have passed over a thousand sheep during the whole journey! I remember eating a helluva lot of junk food and taking a million pictures of the view outside my window :P

If you've been on a road trip, tell me something about it in the comments below!







And now we come to Sweet Evil. What can I say? I love this book. Wendy Higgins is a terrific writer, and I could tell from the first few chapters that I was going to enjoy this book.
This is part of Anna's first description of Kaidan, and it totally drew me in.


There was an intensity in the way he played, like he was unleashing his passion into the music and nothing else mattered. He was feeling it, lost in it, and he was good. A light sheen of sweat shone on his arms and face, dampening and darkening the hair at his temples.
Never before had I felt such instant physical attraction. The power of it was jarring. I’d noticed when guys had nice features, sure, but I was usually distracted by their emotions.
Now, with the drummer’s absence of an aura, I was able to watch the muscles in his biceps and forearms flex as he slammed the drumsticks down in a whirlwind of precise movement. The beat was intoxicating, bumping each nerve ending inside of me. His whole body moved fluidly, jumping with the force of the beat, his face focused and sure. 

Kaidan ♥ ♥ ♥
Drummers seem incredibly awesome to me for some reason, and that description is like whoaa. From reading just this part you can see how amazing Wendy's writing is, and how she really makes you feel what the characters feel. I won't say any more about the book in case I give anything away, so this is it for now :)

Add Sweet Evil on Goodreads here

1 comment:

  1. Those places do look beautiful! I would love to go on a scenic road trip. ♥ it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!