Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa



Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.











I finished this book literally ten minutes ago, and I couldn't wait to write a review! The Lost Prince reintroduced me to Julie Kagawa's incredible world of Fey, and I loved every second of it. This book does not disappoint! I was slightly hesitant before starting this book because I didn't think it would live up to Ash, Puck and Megan's story. I was proved wrong, and I was delighted!

Ethan's personality was so unexpected. I really didn't see it coming, I was all, where's the cute little boy I read about in The Iron Fey? Ethan's encounters with the Fey have changed him forever, and he's definitely not the innocent little kid he used to be. He's toughened up, and he's afraid of anyone getting too close to him after he lost his sister and then a good friend to the Fey. He acts like a total asshole for pretty much the first half of the book, but I totally understand why. He's a troubled boy, still seething over the fact that his older sister left their family forever to rule in the Nevernever. My heart reached out to him, since I could feel how afraid he was, how helpless he felt, and how much he missed Megan.
Ethan's sarcastic quips made me laugh every time I read them. How can you not love this guy?

I wanted to protect Kenzie, but I couldn’t do that if Leanansidhe turned me into a guitar.
As a card-carrying member of the guy club, I wasn’t going to comment on the floral arrangements.     

Enter Kenzie. I loved her immediately - her vibrant and bubbly personality, and the fact that nothing fazed her. Not even broody Ethan could scare her away. What made me love her even more was her reaction to the existence of fey. She didn't freak out, she took it calmly and was even really excited about it. She was pretty kick-ass throughout the book, and didn't shy away from danger. In fact, she welcomed it. She has an adventurous spirit, and desperately wants to see whatever the world can offer her. Of course, there's a darker reason to all of this, but I won't get into that. It was pretty devastating though! Kenzie is the one who manages to change Ethan, turning him from a brooding, seemingly uncaring boy to someone whom she can love, and who can love her back.
Kenzie and Ethan both need each other, and I feel like they're complete when they're around each other.





I needed this girl; I needed her laughter and fearlessness, the way she kept pushing me, refusing to be intimidated. I’d kept people at arm’s length for so long, scared of what the fey would do to them if I got close, but I couldn’t do that anymore. Not to her.

And now, Keirran. He was amazing! And he reminded me so much of Ash. I loved how shocked Kenzie was when she found out Keirran was Ethan's nephew. It does seem weird when I think about it, the fact that Ethan is Keirran's uncle and yet they're the same age and they hung out with each other. Keirran and Ethan's relationship was fairly reminiscent of Ash and Puck's. Even Puck realized it -

“Ah.” Puck sighed, shaking his head as we headed into the forest. “This brings back memories.” He glanced over his shoulder and grinned. “Don’t they remind you of a pair, ice-boy, from way back when?”                                                         Ash snorted. “Don’t remind me.”

I missed Ash and Puck so much! One of the reasons I was so excited to read this book was that I would get to see how Julie's old characters are doing. They all still seem exactly the same, and I was really happy about that. Megan seems to have toughened up, and I didn't like that she basically tried to imprison Ethan at her palace to keep him safe. Thank goodness Keirran showed up to get him and Kenzie out!
Puck is the same goofy guy he was in The Iron Fey, and his appearance was like that of a celebrity. When the black raven was mentioned, I mentally cheered in my head, since I knew without a doubt that Puck had shown up to save the day!

Julie Kagawa also revisits other characters from The Iron Fey, like Grimalkin, Leanansidhe, Glitch and Razor. I was ecstatic at the appearance of the incredibly awesome cat. It's amazing how little has changed in so many years. Grimalkin is exactly the same, with his vague statements, random disappearances, and his tagline, "I am a cat."
I was also pleasantly surprised to see Razor and Glitch, and even Leanansidhe.

I love the fact that I know what Keirran's future holds, and he's so desperate to find out. He notices something's wrong when Puck is surprised to seem him and Ethan together. And I referred back to Iron's Prophecy, the novella after The Iron Knight, to find this -

Be forewarned, Iron Queen, your brother and your son are on a collision course toward each other, and if they ever meet, the fate of the Nevernever dangles in the balance.
I can't wait to see what happens in the next book! The title itself makes me fear what's going to happen. The Traitor Son doesn't seem like it's going to have a happy ending... Plus, knowing what Kierran is fated to do, some part of me doesn't want to read the next book and find my heart broken. However, I really don't think I can stay away. I devoured The Iron Fey just a few months ago, and I feel so much gratitude towards Julie Kagawa for deciding to write a spin-off series!

If you've read The Iron Fey, go read this book ASAP! Trust me, you won't be disappointed. This book will blow your mind! If I could give this book more than 5 stars, I would. Julie's writing is amazing, and I was spellbound. If you haven't read The Iron Fey yet, what are you waiting for? Get to it!

Rating: 5/5


3 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't read any of Julie Kagawa's works :(
    Hope I can get The IRon fey series this Christmas :D

    Samaine@ Bookworms Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! New follower here from bookblogs. Great review! I have the Iron Fey series on my TBR list and I hope to get to it sometime soon =)
    Please visit me and follow back if you'd like Nette’s Bookshelf Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following back! You'll love The Iron Fey :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!