Monday, 15 October 2012

Review: Exiled by M.R. Merrick



Chase Williams is a demon hunter in the Circle, or at least he was supposed to be. On his fifteenth birthday, Chase stepped up to the altar to claim his elemental power, but it never came. Elemental magic is passed down to a hunter through the bloodline, but on Chase's birthday, the bloodline stopped.

Exiled without the Circle's protection, Chase has spent two years trying to survive a world riddled with half-demons and magic. When he has a run in with a frightened and seemingly innocent demon, he learns the Circle's agenda has changed: the Circle plans to unlock a portal and unleash pure-blood demons into the world. Vowing to stop them, and knowing he can't do it alone, Chase forms a reluctant alliance with Rayna — a sexy witch with an attitude and a secret.

In their attempt to stop them, Chase and Rayna find themselves in the middle of the Circle's plan, leaving one of them to decide what their friendship is worth, and the other's life depending on it.








I've been meaning to read this book for ages, but sadly never got around to it until a few days ago. Thank you Matthew Merrick for sending me an e-book copy! Exiled was a fun, interesting, and refreshing read, and if you like books with a lot of action and adventure, you'll love this!

I haven't read a lot of books from a male perspective, and from the ones I have, the only series I really liked was Harry Potter. Those books have their own shelf in my book cupboard! That being said, I loved Exiled, since the writing was intricately detailed and descriptive, and I really got to know who Chase is as a person.

The character development in this book was incredible, not only of the main characters, but the supporting ones as well. I loved Chase, but my favourite character was definitely Rayna. She's tough, smart, sassy, and always has a witty retort ready in a second. She's a girl you do not want to mess with! Chase is also someone you do not want to mess with, and he's compassionate too. He loves his mother a lot, and I found that really sweet. Chase has a lot on his shoulders, and this burden keeps increasing as the novel goes on. He is entrusted with a great responsibility, and I can't wait to find out how he handles it. Marcus was a great character too, and I loved how he was so caring towards Rayna even though she's a demon (well, half). He's likeable and easy to trust, and I feel that Rayna's really lucky to have him around.
Vincent is a vampire, and a rather ambiguous one at that. It's difficult to know what exactly his intentions are, but I'm grateful to him for sending Chase and Rayna to find the scroll, because without that, Chase wouldn't have discovered his legacy. So thanks for that, Vincent! 
Willy is such a cute character! He's a half demon like Rayna, and you'd expect him to be menacing or at least a little scary, but instead you just want to protect him from the dangers of the world. That's exactly how Chase feels about him, and it surprises him that he cares so much about a demon. Willy's stutter annoyed me at the beginning, but I got used to it. Plus, he's such a sweet character that his flaws are easy to ignore!
M.R. Merrick has left the evilness to Riley Williams, Chase's dad. He's like the Voldemort of Exiled, and I hate him so much for exiling Chase and his mom just because he didn't show any powers. Riley is scary and downright cruel. The things he does... I don't want to spoil the book so I won't say anything more about him :P

Regarding paranormal creatures, Exiled has it all -  vampires, witches, warlocks, shifters, and more. What I really liked about this was that it was different from other paranormal books even though it had similar creatures. There's no way you can compare this book to any other. There's non-stop action, scenes filled with suspense that'll keep you on the edge of your seat, and breathtaking imagery to keep you satisfied! I wouldn't recommend starting this book at night, because trust me, it's un-put-downable. You'll stay up all night trying to finish this beauty.

Exiled is fast-paced and engaging, and I feel that Chase and Rayna have great chemistry together. There wasn't much (or any) romance, but the fact that I liked this book so much despite that tells you how amazing it is! I loved the witty banter between Chase and Rayna, and I really hope they end up together in the second book, Shift. They complement each other tremendously, and are always supportive of each other. Their relationship is slowly developing in this book, and I can't wait to find out where this leads to. 

M.R. Merrick has created a beautiful world in Exiled, with his flawless writing style and smooth but fast-paced plotline. Exiled is addicting, and is like watching a movie on a screen rather than reading a book. Reading Exiled is like experiencing Chase's journey with him, feeling everything he feels. Chase grows a lot as a person in this book, and it was amazing to see this happening before my eyes.

All in all, I love it. Everything about it. M.R. Merrick, I bow down to you and your incredibly awesome writing skills. The fact that this is a debut novel makes it even more amazing! The book flows very well, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the books in the series.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!