Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Review: Ten by Gretchen McNeil


And their doom comes swiftly.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?








I started (and finished) this book yesterday, and it blew my mind! I read And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie a couple of years ago, but I don't remember much of the story. Ten is pretty similar to it, and it has an amazing plot filled with suspense, mystery and action. Oh, and romance. It's the whole package!

Ten is one of those books you cannot put down. No matter what. Even with a rock-hard willpower, you have to finish this book before going to bed or you'll stay up all night thinking about it. There are a lot of twists in this book, and it's extremely unpredictable - one of things I love most about it. It's hard to write this review without giving away any spoilers, but I'll try my best!

Meg is a great protagonist - she's kind, compassionate, brave and witty. I couldn't find any faults with her at all! Minnie, her best friend, is a different story. She's bipolar and has depression problems, but I can't help being annoyed by her. She doesn't appreciate everything Meg does for her, everything she's given up for her. T.J is a really likeable character, and I would have liked to know more about him. I loved how he acts around Meg, the fact that he's so concerned about her the whole time. Each and every character has distinctive personalities, so it's pretty much impossible to get them mixed up. Although I wish some of the characters had a little more depth to them.

McNeil's writing style drew me in, with her vivid descriptions and innovative plot threads. The way the murders were planned and executed was amazing, each one completely different from the other. It takes a while to really get into the book, but once you do, it's a roller-coaster. The setting of the book was perfect - an isolated, eerie island. The teens are cut off from all communication imaginable, and it's scary to consider being in their shoes! Ten can be creepy at times, so if you're not a fan of horror, I'd suggest not reading it at night. The climax of the book is the ultimate shocker, and I'd definitely recommend this book if you like thriller/mystery sort of books. 

I would love to see this book made into a movie. It's got all the makings of a good horror movie! Not just the gory stuff, but the actual creepiness as well. It's the kind of book you would re-read at least once a year, just because you feel like it. After reading this, I can't wait to start Possess!

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!